SARTrack Member App
Debug and Update history of the SARTrack Member Android App (Beta
Main SARTrack Website is at www.sartrack.nz
26 February 2020
Major fixes in relation to the Android OS killing the App all the time,
and the connection between the App Client and the App background
- Fix: The Tasking allocation to the App did not work
correctly, because the logged in People link was not updated by the
Database Server. This also requires that all Database Server are
- Notifications to the User are now done by the background
service, instead of the App's Client, because this is endlessly killed
by the operating system.
- Change the Icons of the App to make them more visible.
PLEASE REPORT any unexpected behavior or App Error warnings.
9 January 2020
- Fix: Problem where App would not fully connect when only one Operation was active.
- New: Tapping on the COnnection Bar at the bottom, now gives option to CHange Active Operation when available
31 December 2019
- Many small and larger improvements and bug fixes.
31 October 2019
New: The App has been prepared for the new 'Multi-Operation' versions
of the SARTrack system. This will make it possible to have multiple
Active Operations open at the same time, on the same GroupID. The
new function will only work as soon as all Servers and SARTrack Windows
Clients have also been updated to version 1.009, which I hope to do in
the next week.
- Fixed: Multiple fixes and improvements in various areas.
- Reduced the amount of Debug logging to improve performance.
30 September 2019
New: There is a new button under "Personal Settings>Availability" called
"Enroute" The user can now transmit to Operations that he/she is
Enroute after a callout with a single push of the button. This will
show in SARTrack in the Team Setup window.
Fix: The way the password was send to the Server caused problems in
some countries with special language characters. To fix this, all
SARTrack programs including the Android App now work in a different
way. It also means that the Database Servers no longer are allowed to
transmit non-encrypted data.
- Fix: the Message system had multiple issues, now fixed.
18 September 2019
Fix: Still problems with Android 8 or higher, causing problems with the
Bluetooth device. Please update to this version to avoid problems
when the Bluetooth device is not enabled on your phone.
17 September 2019
New: Bluetooth: Fixed issues when Bluetooth device was not enabled, would cause crash when trying to connect a TNC..
Made a change to the way the configuration file is saving Unicode data,
which affects languages with non-ANSI characters (like Russian for
IMPORTANT: IF YOUR CURRENT VERSION IS 1.003 OR LOWER, THEN YOU MUST
FIRST COMPLETELY UN-INSTALL THE APP BEFORE DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING
FROM THE GOOGLE PLAY STORE.
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY VERSION 1.004 OR HIGHER INSTALLED IT IS NOT REQUIRED.
28 July 2019
New: Bluetooth APRS now works. Those of you who have an AP510
APRS tracker, please give it a go and let me know the results.
- New: Log system. You can now receive and send Logs, if you enable this in the Setup (at the bottom), and if you have a Login Access Level of "Operations" or higher.
- Fix: When there was no Active Operation, the Server login would get stuck on Pending.
- Behaviour change: When there is no
Active Operation, the GPS location will be completely disabled. NOTE:
When you open the Google Map window, this will activate the GPS
receiver, and it may stay on after that.
- Tasking: Fixed issue that an attached image would not be availlable.
- Lots of minor bugs fixed.
This requires that you update your Database Servers to version 1.007 as well.
15 April 2019
- Improved way for App to request stations and objects from the Server, and improved synchronisation.
This requires that you update your Database Servers to version 1.005 as well.
24 March 2019
- Major update.
Tracking system completely rewritten. The default setting of 'By
Distance' is now automatically adjusting to speed and direction. At
walking speed, the App will add a waypoint every 10 meters. The faster
you go, the longer the distance between waypoints. When you take a
corner, a waypoit is generated there.
- Notification system. Due to
the new Google requirements, this has been rewritten. Special sounds
are now installed for Messages, Tasks, Errors and later Logs.
- The way the App synchronises with the Database Servers has been improved and made more reliable.
- Take Photo did not always work.
- The Task system now works properly, and you can now also view any Images which are attached to a Task.
- Many other bugs and issues fixed.
Known issues: The Compass does not always work right, and on some
phones the top is partly obscured by the image containing the red line.
I don't know why that is.
report any problems with the App by using the Debug window, and
selecting 'Email Debug', with a short explanation what went wrong.
10 February 2019
In the last 9 months, the Android App had to be partly rewritten
because of the new requirements of Google that all existing App's must
'target' Android 8.
This has been a complete nightmare, and
basically everything stopped working, and the compiler which I must
use, was totally not ready for the changes, and as a result I had also
to help debug the actual compiler itself, until the final version came
out a couple of months ago.
However, there are still many problems,
and I really need to know from as many users as possible if the App
works correctly in the various versions of Android, and phones.
Please report any problems from the App's Debug window, and send a Bug report.
It may be useful to uninstall the old App first, then install fresh in this case.
Some recommended settings:
When you enable Location tracking, the most power saving type is
"Automatic", which check every 5 minutes if the location has changed.
It will detect if you go around a corner, and it will adjust when you
go from walking to stepping into a car or aircraft.
detailed option is 'By Movement'. The GPS will be checked every 5
seconds; When a certain distance has been covered, it will save a track
point, also when you make a turn. The minimum distance is 10 meters
when you move 5 km/h or below, after that this minimum distance will
increase, so that when you do 100km/h it does not generate thousands of
When you go into the 'GPS/Compass, Send Clue, or
Map window, the GPS will stay on for as long as you are in there, or
until you minimize the App.
To save more power, you can set the
Connect Interval' to say 5 minutes. SARTrack will release hold on the
WIFI system, and stay disconnected from the Server until 5 minutes have
passed. It will then connect to the Database Server (WIFI or Internet),
synchronize, and disconnect again.
When you switch to Personal Settings, the App will make a full connection to the Database.
Give it a try and please keep me up-to-date with the results.
9 July 2018
- Changed Debug log time to UTC so can better compare with Database Servers.
- Fix: Google Map: 'Normal' button was missing
- Fix: On restart Client, when Service already running, did not display the Server connection correctly.
Fix: The Availability updates caused the Current Status (Assigned to a
Team) of the person to be overwritten at the Server and the SARTrack
This fix requires also an Update of the Database Server and SARTrack Client.
New: In the Station Popup window, a new button: Send Message to
Station. NOTE: This currently only works for APRS Messages to SARTrack
Clients and APRS capable Amateur Radio radios (not to commecercial
radios like Tait, Motorola, etc).. (Double-tap on a Station in the
Station list to open the Popup)
- Fix: Clue Photo attachment did not always work due to a missing directory.
26 June 2018
Change the way the screen is looking with different device displays.
- Fix: The Avavlabiliy system was not updated from the Server side.
This also requires the Database Server to be updated to version 0.9.781A
- The App will NOT run properly on
Android version 4.x.
- The App will run on Android Version 5.x (Lolipop) but it
will NOT be capable to connect to a Local Database Server, on a WIFI
network which is NOT itself connected to the Internet. That is, when
you have a WIFI network in the field, which has NO Internet access, but
is running a Local Database Server, Android Lolipop devices will not be
able to connect to it.
that the minimum recommended Android version is 6.x (Marshmallow).